Vanilla Cinnamon Winter Waffle Sticks
1 cupunsweetened apple sauce*
1 cupmilk of choice
3 tablespoonsButter (unsalted)
1 1⁄2 tablespoonPure Maple Syrup
2 teaspoonsPure Vanilla Extract
2 cupsbrown rice four (or sub all-purpose or whole wheat flour)
2 teaspoonsBaking Powder
2 teaspoonsCeylon cinnamon
2 tablespoonsPowdered Sugar
* This is the homemade apple sauce recipe we use.
** You will also need a high-powered blender and non-stick spray for greasing your pan or waffle iron.
- If making waffle sticks with a waffle stick pan as shown (we love this one here): preheat your oven to 375 degrees, lightly spray wells of pan with a non-stick spray and set pan aside. Alternatively, you can use a waffle maker (we love this mini one here). Pre heat waffle maker if using one, and then proceed to next step.
- In your blender jar add the following: applesauce, milk, butter (melted and cooled), eggs, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Next, slowly add in your flour, baking powder, Ceylon cinnamon and salt.
- Blend/pulse until ingredients are just combined (you do not want to over-mix).
- Pour batter evenly among pan wells (you will have to make these in batches). Bake for 12- 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove pan from oven and allow sticks to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Alternatively, cook waffles in a regular sized or mini waffle maker per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once done and ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar if desired and serve with maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or your favorite waffle toppings.
- Double or triple recipe to have enough to freeze for later. Yum!
Yields 6 Servings