This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions, recipe, beautiful food photography and text are all mine.
You are going to LOVE these savory and satisfying waffles made with Horizon® Organic Protein Milk, cheddar cheese, Sprouts Farmers Market breakfast chicken sausage, and an assortment of spices. Perfectly paired with fresh fruit and Sprouts' brand coffee, this is a breakfast the whole family will love!
Are you on Team Sweet or Team Savory?
While I do love the occasional sweet treat, at the end of the day I am definitely a savory gal!
These waffles were originally created for the blog by #TeamNosh contributor Joy from @lunchesandlittles, and today with the help of Horizon Organic, I've created a video to go with the recipe that shows you just how easy (and delicious) these waffles really are!
As Joy said, "Reminiscent of a delicious breakfast sandwich but waaaaay fluffier, each bite of these waffles include crisp bits of sausage, melted cheddar cheese and more. I could honestly eat these for breakfast, lunch or dinner... (kindof like this salad!)- Don’t judge me. Just make them, and then you’ll understand."
For this recipe you start with your choice of breakfast sausage --- we love the Sprouts Farmers Market house brand breakfast chicken sausage. They have a great meat department and fabulous prices to go with it! We also love their seafood/shrimp.
We are loving Horizon Organic's new Protein milk. It has 12g of protein per 1 cup serving instead of the regular 8g found in regular dairy milk! So everything just gets a little boost, without sacrificing flavor.
Mini Savory Waffles w/ Crumbled Sausage, Cheese & Scallions
And if you love fluffy waffles and are worried the sausage and other add-ins might weigh them down – don’t worry. Even though the batter gets pretty thick, the waffles are still completely fluffy, not too dense, etc...
Be sure to download the Sprouts Farmers Market app to get mobile coupons for discounts on the Horizon Organic Protein Milk + cheese. Make a delicious breakfast and save money while you're doing it!
-Kelly + Joy
Mini Savory Waffles with Crumbled Sausage, Cheese, & Scallions
Mini Savory Sausage and Cheddar Waffles
*You will also need: cooking spray, and additional maple syrup if desired for topping.
**You can top with additional fried eggs (optional).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with just a drizzle of oil.
- Once pan is heated, add sausage to pan and cook, breaking apart with a spoon or spatula until the sausage is browned and partially crispy. In the last minute or so of cooking add in the maple syrup and combine. Total cook time will vary, but my sausage took about 6 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Then start your batter: in a large bowl combine your flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the milk, oil and eggs. Whisk ingredients together thoroughly.
- Next, gradually pour milk mixture into dry ingredients, whisking until just combined (some lumps here is fine).
- Add in your crumbled/ cooked sausage (reserving approximately 1/4 cup if desired for topping), cheese, scallions, and seasoning.
- Mix gently until all add-ins are well-incorporated, but don’t over-mix. A few lumps remaining is still fine.
- Heat your waffle iron per owner instructions. Lightly spray cooking spray into iron and then add enough batter to the iron to make waffles. Every few waffles, be sure to re-spray your waffle iron as necessary.
- Once cooked, stack up a couple of your waffles and sprinkle with additional scallions, cheese and sausage, if desired.
- A little maple syrup and even a fried egg are also perfect toppings for this dish, though not necessary.
Please note: I used a mini waffle maker for these (I just think mini is more fun!). I used this one here, which yields waffles that are approximately 4 inches in diameter. Recipe made 12 mini waffles.
Yields 16 4" Waffles