Easy Weeknight Black Bean Soup - a hearty, flavorful + surprisingly vegan black bean soup. Sweet, smoky and completely satisfying.
2 tablespoonsOlive Oil
1small red onion (divided)
3ribs of celery
1⁄4 teaspoonblack pepper
1 teaspoonChili Powder
2 cansBlack Beans (~15oz each, rinsed and drained)
2 tablespoonswhite miso paste
2 1⁄2 cupsWater
2 tablespoonsMaple Syrup
- Halve red onion. Finely chop one half. Thinly slice the other half. Add thinly sliced red onion to a small bowl and add the juice of one lime. Toss and set aside or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 2 T olive oil. Add chopped onion, carrots and celery. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper, to taste. Sauté until veggies are tender and beginning to brown, 10-15 mins, then add remaining spices (oregano, chili powder, cinnamon, cumin) and sauté another minute or so, until spices are fragrant.
- Add black beans, miso paste, water and maple syrup and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Remove half of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. (Always be cautious when blending hot items - keep lid vented and blend in batches, if necessary.) Return blended soup to pot and stir to combine.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream (if using), lime juice-marinated sliced onions, cilantro and lime. Enjoy!
Yields 4 Servings